Pastor's Desk: Easter Sunday
Dear Friends, we have solemnly walked with Jesus during the sacred Triduum of Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday and now we come to the glorious celebration of Easter Sunday. Christ is Risen, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Our faith in Jesus Christ is based on the events of that first Easter morning when the women made their way to the tomb. We have to remind ourselves that the women did not get up early that morning in order to find Jesus risen, as though it was all some pre-arranged plan, but they were making their way there because they didn’t have time to bury Him properly. Remember that the Gospels tell us that darkness fell over the whole land as Jesus died on the cross; it was a Friday and from sunset no work could be done as the Jewish Sabbath had begun. They waited till the Sabbath was over, sunrise Sunday morning, to finish the traditional burial rites. To their dismay and horror, Jesus’ body was not there. Jesus in His resurrected state was not recognisable immediately but when He spoke they knew it was Him. The first witnesses to the resurrection were women.
When they told the apostles they didn’t believe them, and Peter and John ran to the tomb to find out for themselves. These same men, who were terrified of experiencing a similar fate to Jesus, now waited for the Master to return among them. And when Jesus did, His first words were; “Peace be with you”. There were no recriminations, no lashing out by Jesus for their lack of faith or even support in His suffering. He gave them the gift of the Holy Spirit and they changed into fearless men ready to preach the Gospel of the Risen Christ.
Each Easter we celebrate the Resurrection and remind ourselves that we too have received the gift of the Holy Spirit in our Baptism and Confirmation. We too are called to fearlessly tell others about our faith in the Risen Jesus. And this year we are delighted to welcome Coco and Kristine as full members of the followers of Christ. As adults wishing to join our Church, both Kristine & Coco have been following a programme of formation with the Parish RCIA Group (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults). Their time of formation has reached the point where they are ready to become full members of the Church and we wish them every happiness in our faith community.
Can I also take this opportunity to thank on behalf of the entire parish, those numerous volunteers who have contributed to our ceremonies this week by their time and effort. We think of the Readers, Ministers of the Eucharist, Liturgical Art Goup, Church cleaners, Flower Society, Family Mass Group, sacristans, Music Group, the newly formed Choral Society, stewards/collectors, those who set up and prepared the Passover Meal and those who assisted in various ways at the Easter Vigil. Many Thanks for all you do.
A very Happy Easter to you all from myself and the Parish Team,
Church Notices: 24th April 2011
- There will be only one Mass in the church each day during this Easter Week beginning tomorrow, Easter Monday, which of course is a Bank Holiday. This Mass will be at 11.00am every morning, after which the church will close for the day. Normal Mass times will resume with the Vigil Mass at 6.30pm next Saturday evening. There will be no Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament tomorrow Bank Holiday Monday.
- We are grateful to all those who have already returned their Easter Dues in support of the priests of the parish. All Dues offerings will be personally acknowledged.
- You are invited to come and look at the Easter Garden, to the right of the Altar, after Mass where the scene of the Risen Jesus is depicted.
- We are grateful to all those who have in one way or another, helped to make this past Week very special in our church through their work, talent and help in preparation for the ceremonies. Our thanks also to the parishioners for attending the ceremonies in such numbers.
- Easter Water blessed at the Easter Vigil Ceremony is available at the Sacristy Door. You are asked to bring your own bottle.
- Those who have taken TROCAIRE Lenten Boxes from the church during Lent and haven’t already returned them should do so during the coming week.
- The winning ticket numbers for our Monster Easter Egg Raffle are posted on the doors of the church. Prizes should be claimed from the sacristy.
- The Parish Office will be open from 10.30am to 12.30pm, Tuesday to Friday of the coming, Easter week.
- All Parish Ministers & members of Parish groups, who haven’t already done so, should collect their invitation to the annual Parish Helpers’ party from the Sacristy after Mass. We would ask you to RSVP by Easter Monday please so catering arrangements can be made.