Pastor's Desk: Fifth Sunday of Lent
As we approach the last days of the Lenten season our focus turns to one of the central tenets of our faith, the resurrection to eternal life. Our Gospel tells the story of the death of Lazarus who was a good friend of Jesus as were Martha & Mary, Lazarus’ sisters. Jesus, despite being made aware of how ill Lazarus is, chooses to travel in the opposite direction completely. The upshot is that when he finally arrives at their village, Lazarus is dead a number of days already.
When Martha heard Jesus had arrived she went out to meet him, not to greet and welcome him but to confront Him; “If you had been here, my brother would not have died.” These are harsh words indeed for Jesus; we can hear Martha’s anger. Mary displays her own displeasure by remaining in the house, she doesn’t even greet Jesus.
All of us who have lost a loved one before their time can appreciate where the sisters are coming from because we too have felt that anger at God. But Jesus goes on to call his good friend out from the tomb where they have placed him, ‘Lazarus, here! Come out!’ He returns Lazarus to his sisters. He raises him from the dead.
Our faith in Jesus is not because he said some really interesting things or had miraculous powers but because he rose from the dead himself and promised us, his followers, eternal life with him. We will celebrate Christ’s resurrection from the dead on Easter Sunday but we do so not as disinterested bystanders but because we hope to have a share in his resurrection too. Just as our loved ones have who have gone before us.
Have a great week.
Church Notices: 10th April 2011
- Holy Week begins next Sunday, Palm Sunday. Palm will be blessed and distributed at all Masses. In preparation for Palm Sunday, we need volunteers to help cut the palm branches next Friday morning at 10.30am, after the morning Mass. If you can help, please meet in the church at that time with a pair of secateurs.
- The timetable of Holy Week & Easter Ceremonies and Easter Dues Envelopes are available from the tables at the doors of the church; please take a copy as you leave the church today. The timetable is also available here.
- If you and members of your family would like to attend the Parish Passover Meal Celebration on Spy Wednesday, 20th April, at the earlier time of 7.30pm in the Donahies School, you should get your invitation card at the back of the church today.
- Important meetings this week: there is a meeting of the Ministers of the Word in the Church at 7.30pm Monday evening to plan the rota for Holy Week & Easter. On Tuesday evening the Parish Pastoral Council will meet at 7.30pm sharp in All Saints Chapel. All members please take note.
- Once again this year some kind parishioners have given us a couple of beautiful Monster Easter Eggs to raffle for parish needs and tickets are being sold after Masses this Sunday. The draw will take place on the Tuesday of Holy Week after the 10.00am Mass.
- All Parish Helpers should call to the sacristy after Mass today to collect their invitation to our annual night out which takes place this year, on Friday 6th May, in the Hilton Hotel.
- Please note that Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament will conclude at the earlier time of 5.00pm tomorrow, Monday, to facilitate a funeral reception tomorrow evening at 5.30pm.
- The usual monthly collection for our local conference of St. Vincent DePaul will be taken up as you leave after Mass today. Please be generous in supporting their work.