Pastor's Desk: Ascension Sunday
Welcome everyone, as we celebrate the Feast of the Ascension of the Lord and also World Communications Sunday. The Ascension of Jesus to His Heavenly Father was a necessary sadness the early disciples had to go through so that the Holy Spirit could come into their hearts & minds. The physical separation from Jesus did not have the desolation of His death on the cross but it was difficult for them to let go.
World Communications Sunday
World Communications Sunday is a reminder that the message of the Gospel must be communicated anew to a new generation by modern means. Pope Benedict calls on all Christians to use their presence in the virtual world and new social media to proclaim their faith in Christ and to be apostles to their peer age group. By witnessing wherever we are, then we are fulfilling our baptismal promise to be followers of Jesus. In his message for this year’s World Communications Day the Holy Father says,
“I would like then to invite Christians, confidently and with an informed and responsible creativity, to join the network of relationships which the digital era has made possible. This is not simply to satisfy the desire to be present, but because this network is an integral part of human life. The web is contributing to the development of new and more complex intellectual and spiritual horizons, new forms of shared awareness. In this field too we are called to proclaim our faith that Christ is God, the Saviour of humanity and of history, the one in whom all things find their fulfilment (cf. Eph 1:10).”
Enjoy the Bank Holiday & have a great week!
Church Notices: 5th June 2011
- As today is the Feast of the Ascension of the Lord, the week ahead completes the Easter Season and so it is time to dismantle the Easter Garden. You might like to come and take a final moment to pause and pray at the ‘Ascension Scene’ to the side of the Altar.
- The Ministers of the Word will be commissioned for service for the coming year at the 6.30pm Vigil Mass of Pentecost next Saturday.
- As the Easter Season draws to a close, this is a reminder about Easter Dues Offerings. The Easter Dues offering can be returned in the special envelope available at the doors of the church. We are grateful to all those who have already returned their Dues. All Dues offerings will be personally acknowledged in the coming weeks.
- Monday is a Bank Holiday and our morning Mass will be celebrated at 11.00am after which the church will close.
- There will be a meeting of the Liturgy Group on Tuesday evening at 7.00pm in the Upper Room.
- The Confirmation Faith Friends have their review meeting on Wednesday evening at 7.30pm in All Saints Chapel.
- The Annual Mass in Balgriffin cemetery takes place next Sunday at 3.00pm.
- The Helping Hand Parish Pilgrimage to Lourdes departs next Saturday. Please keep them in your prayers.
- If any of our parishioners know of a very sick person who would like to travel to Lourdes with the Diocesan Pilgrimage in September, please contact the Parish Office. The Associate Membership to help with the financial cost of bringing the sick pilgrims on the Diocesan Pilgrimage begins this weekend. If you wish to make a donation and become an Associate Member please call to the table at the back of the church after Mass.